Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The questions worth asking!

Yesterday I shared with you about goals for the new year and later I was telling Matt about how easy it is for me to get on a roll and just set a million goals. I like dreaming what can I say ;) It was then that I realized that I hadn't shared with all of you how I determine what goals to pursue and what goals to put aside. So that's what I want to do today.

I've heard some people say that they don't want to set any goals for the future because they just want to see God's plan come to fruition in their lives. On the front end that sounds like a really "mature" thing to say. But I think when you look at scripture you'll see that God is all about the organization and planning. So how do we balance God's clear example of order and planning with our desire for control (which can often be what all our planning is about)? Great question!

I think there is absolutely a way to set goals that is God honoring and productive at the same time. For me I simply ask two questions:

1. What will bring me closer to God?

2. What will bring me closer to my family?

I filter all of my dreams through these two questions. Then I spend time asking God what he wants me to pursue for this next year. Each of my final goals answers one of these two questions. Continuing to pursue a healthy lifestyle answers both: Choosing to turn to God for strength or comfort instead of food absolutely pulls me closer to him. Taking care of my body allows me to be there for my family in the future and be more fully present with them now. The same is true to continuing to exercise and trying to take care of myself more. These three things will ultimately bring me closer to God and closer to my family.  So I know it's safe, and wise to pursue them.

Now, that being said all goals or dreams or plans are made in sand. What I mean is that I can't rely on these goals to be my guarantee for the next year. Only God knows what the future holds so I can't ignore an opportunity from him simply because it doesn't fit into my strategy for this year! So I set goals that I believe God wants me to pursue and I continue to look to him throughout the year. If he says let 'em go guess what? I let 'em go! Only you know if your goals are an attempt to honor God or an attempt to control your life. Make sure you're seeking to honor him. 

So, what can you do in 2015 to help you draw closer to God and to the people around you? Those are plans worth making and keeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment